Splash’s ticketing platform enables you to create different buying experiences for your guests. These methods can incentivize early ticket sales and encourage guests to bring a friend.
In this article, learn how to set up a waitlist, early bird pricing, and a buy one, get one free model.
On this page:
Creating a waitlist
Splash does not offer built-in waitlist functionality. But it’s still possible to collect interest from prospective guests using a waitlist ticket, then send targeted follow ups once spots become available.
Step (1/4) Create a waitlist ticket
Start by creating a free ticket that will collect guest information and serve as your waitlist.
To create a free ticket:
- Click the Tickets tab or click the Ticket Editor touchpoint.
- Click New Ticket Type in the upper right.
- Click the Make this an RSVP Ticket checkbox at the bottom of the Ticket Setup section.
- Enter a ticket name and description that’s specific to a waitlist ticket.
- Click Save.
Note: Keep in mind that these guests will contribute to the Total Tickets Sold count in your RSVPs tab and in the Splash Host app.
Step (2/4) Customize your confirmations
Your waitlist ticket should include confirmation messaging that reiterates that this ticket does not provide admission to your event.
To customize your confirmations:
- Navigate to the Confirmations touchpoint.
- Click the Default Ticket dropdown in the upper left.
- Select Add Custom.
- Select the waitlist ticket from the dropdown.
- Click Add.
- Click Unlink from the Default Ticket in the on-page section.
- Disable the Add to calendar button from the on-page confirmation.
- Click Unlink from the Default Ticket in the email section.
- Disable the Attach calendar invite and Include Ticket PDF settings from the email confirmation.
- Customize the on-page and email confirmation with waitlist-specific information.
- Click Save.
Step (3/4) Release more tickets
When you’re ready to release more tickets, you can either:
- Increase the ticket quantity of your original ticket.
- Create a new ticket exclusive to a tracking link.
Step (4/4) Promote the tickets to waitlisted guests
Use Splash’s Email Sender to target waitlisted guests with an invitation to purchase your released tickets.
To create this email:
- Click the Email tab.
- Click New Email.
- Select Splash’s premade Invite email template or start from scratch.
- If you hide your tickets behind a tracking link, be sure to update any button links with the appropriate URL.
- Click the Recipients tab.
- From the Add Quick List dropdown, select your waitlist ticket.
- Click Review to finalize the details.
- Hit Send.
Setting up early bird pricing
Incentivize early ticket sales by creating an “early bird” pricing offer. You can either create an early bird ticket type with a lower ticket price or use a special discount code.
Create an early bird ticket type
The benefits of creating a specific early bird ticket type include:
- Assigning a limited timeframe for when the ticket is available
- Setting an early bird price
- Controlling the quantity of tickets
- Hiding the tickets behind a tracking link for reserved guests
Warning: When an early bird ticket sells out, additional ticket types (like a General Admission Ticket) will not automatically become available. Be sure to monitor availability for each ticket type.
To create an early bird ticket type:
- Click the Tickets tab or Ticket Editor touchpoint.
- Click New Ticket Type.
- Enter a ticket name and description for your early bird special.
- Assign a quantity of tickets.
- Click the Show guests number of remaining tickets checkbox.
- Enter an early bird ticket price.
To limit the availability of this ticket to a certain timeframe:
- Click the On-Sale dropdown.
- Select Limited Availability.
- Enter a custom timeframe. This will display on your ticket order form.
Pro Tip: If you want to reserve this early bird pricing offer to a subset of guests, then hide the early bird ticket behind a tracking link.
Create an early bird discount code
As an alternative to creating a ticket type, you can instead create a discount code for early purchasers. You can limit the availability of this code to a specific timeframe.
Link: Learn how to create and customize discount codes.
Making a buy one, get one free special
Use the steps below to create a buy one, get one free model:
- Click on the Tickets tab or Ticket Editor touchpoint.
- Click the New Ticket Type button.
- Enter a name for the ticket that’s descriptive of the buy one, get one free special.
- In the Ticket Quantity section, enter a minimum value of 2 and maximum value of 2.
- Enter a ticket price that’s 50% of the base ticket price.
Example: The base ticket price is $100 so your buy one, get one free ticket should be $50.
- Enter a description that explains the buy one, get one free special.
- Click Save.
Note: If you prefer a buy one, get one 50% off special, then swap in a ticket price that’s half the cost of a full price ticket and a half price ticket. For example, if you’re offering a buy one get one 50% offer on a $100 ticket, then enter a ticket price of $75.