How do I set up a Vanity URL to go to my Splash page?
Before you get started
- This setup is not a redirect. So avoid that word at all costs! It can interfere with your page in some cases. This setup is secure and loyal - like a Golden Retriever instead of a Goldfish.
- Make sure you have the login credentials for the system where you purchased the domain, which is called a domain name registrar.
- The first bit of setup will take place in your domain name registrar's system and the second bit will take place in Splash.
- Once the setup is complete, it can take up to an hour for the domain to connect on all systems.
First, we’ll need to figure out your domain type.
The domain type describes how your custom domain is structured. It will also determine how your DNS Settings will be configured within your Domain Name Registrar.
- Regular domain: Also referred to as the root domain, these are standard URLs such as companyevent.com or company.events (e.g. splashthat.com). A regular domain is best used for one-time events.
- Subdomain: A unique URL that extends in front of the purchased regular domain, such as events.company.com or support.companyevents.com. Best for: one-time events and Event Hubs.
- Directory: A unique URL that extends the end of your purchased regular and/or subdomain; companyevent.com/myfirstevent or events.company.com/product. Best for: event series.
Domain Set Up
Follow the steps below for your corresponding domain type below. Reminder: these steps need to be completed prior to entering the domain into the Vanity URL field in Splash.
Regular Domains (e.g. splashthat.com) Best for: One-time events
2. Click Add New Record.
5. From the Record type list, select A or A (Host).
6. For Host Name type "@" or "*" to point directly to your domain name.
10. IMPORTANT: Delete any previously listed A Host, AAAA, or IPv6 records that are not directing to Splash. These could prevent your website from loading properly.
11. Save the Zone File or DNS Settings again if necessary.
Subdomains (e.g. events.splashthat.com) Best for: One-time events and Event Hubs
2. Click Add New Record.
5. For Host Name, enter the subdomain for your event, like "events" for "events.splashthat.com".
Directories (e.g. splashthat.com/webinars) Best for: Event series
To use directories, the root URL needs to point to Splash. Complete this using the regular domain setup above - but the kicker is you don't actually have a Splash page.
We recommend connecting the root domain with a Splash event hub, like splash.events.
1. Ensure to complete the regular domain setup for the root URL.
2. Double check sure you entered the directory domain into the Vanity URL field in the Settings tab of your Splash page.
A or CNAME
Host / Hostname
Points To / Target / Value
(either 184.108.40.206 or domains.splashthat.com)
TTL / Time to LIve
Either use the default value, or set it to 300 (5 minutes)
SSL Certification Set Up:
The installation of a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) certificate is a typical requirement to meet the rigorous security standards of many companies. It also enables your Vanity URLs to open with https:// prepended.
If you’ve decided to install an SSL certificate, we can hook it up as an additional service.
This is a two-step process:
- Make sure your DNS settings have an A Record that’s pointed to our vanity IP: 220.127.116.11 just like you would for regular domain. CNAME records should always point to domains.splashthat.com UNLESS there is an SSL installed on the domain.
- Next, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Custom Domain Name
- Country Name
- State or Province Name
- Locality Name (City)
- Organization Name (Company)
- Organizational Unit Name (Section) - This is optional
- Email - This is optional
- Should www. be covered in the certificate for the domain as well?
- Do you want to create an SSL using Let’s Encrypt or traditional SSL?
Need to include more than one domain in your certificate? No problem! Just let us know. We can generate one CSR with multiple domains or a CSR per domain. The choice is completely yours!
Now that we've completed the domain and SSL set up, there's one final step. Adding the domain to the vanity URL field in Splash!
Splash Set Up
- Create the Splash page. Did you know every page gets its own splashthat.com domain? This is totally legitimate and can be used to spread the word. Vanity URLs are best for company branding or that extra special touch.
- Go to the Event Settings tab on your page's toolbar. If you don't see the Vanity URL field, please reach out to have it applied to your page. It's included with all Enterprise licenses!
- Enter the custom domain that you would like to connect with the Splash page, e.g. splashthat.com.
- Hit Save! You're all set!