6/22/2017 – Saving & Sharing Elements
You may know how to save a block to your personal library and share it with other designers but did you know you can utilize the same technology to save individual elements as well?
I know, we freaked out too.
Splash’s driving principle is to speed up workflows — to build with scale in mind. Saving and sharing elements is a little-known feature of the Splash CMS, but one that is vital to saving time.
This will help ensure visual consistency and brand style across multiple team members.
Imagine how much easier it will be to work together:
"Hey Maya! Let's use "Custom Button 1" for the cover block on your Happy Hour Page."
"Hey Shane! Can you share your navigation element with the rest of the team so that we can use it on all of our events moving forward?"
If collaboration is a sandwich then saving & sharing elements are the slices of sweet Italian bread holding the whole thing together. Capeesh?
1. Customize any on-page to your liking (in our case, we'll be saving a Button element.).
2. Take a screen shot of the element you will be saving for visual recognition (on a Mac, the quick key is Command + Shift + 4).
3. Click into the element you wish to save via the layout tab.
4. Once the layout tab refreshes to show you editing options for the element, click the green button in the bottom navigation called Save/Update Section.
Upon clicking, a modal will appear titled Save Custom Element.
5. Upload the screenshot into the image area, give the element a title (the more specific the better), and feel free to add as many tags as you wish to aid future searching:
6. Before saving, let's make sure we are saving the element with the right people. Click into the Sharing tab on the lefthand side of the modal.
Sharing the element
7. Once inside the "Sharing" tab, you can decide if you want to share the element with your entire organization, specific users, or both!
8. Once everyone you want to share the element with has been selected, click Save to complete the process!
Accessing & Adding Custom Elements to Your Page
Now that you have successfully saved an element to your library, it's very important to make sure that your Splash libraries reset appropriately to ensure the new elements load in correctly.
If you wish to add the custom element to the same event page, simply save and refresh the page. If you wish to add the element to another event page, make sure you also save and refresh that event page first.
Let's add our custom button element to a page, shall we?
1. Open up your another Splash page.
2. Choose precisely where you want this custom element to live on your page, then click the element adder icon to open the element library.
3. Click into the Custom folder.
4. Search for the element using the title of the element or the custom tags you applied while saving it.
5. Click on the element to add it to the page.
Check out the video below to see this process in action!
That's it! You now know one of the BEST time savers for Designer Pro, not mention one of the most powerful collaboration components in the Splash CMS.
You can also save entire containers out as well!
So if you create a beautiful block that houses a container of elements, feel free to save out the entire parent container as an element instead of the individual elements inside of it! Saving elements (and remember...containers are considered elements too) also pulls in the margin, padding, widths, and heights you've applied to everything inside the container as well! Time is money, baby, and we've got your back!
Good Luck and Happy Designing!
Senior Education Manager