8. Email re-targeting and bounce remediation Follow
Now that you've taken a thorough look at your email's performance, it's time to strategize next steps for re-targeting guests who have yet to take action or receive the message.
When you suspect a message has not been received:
In the previous article, we discussed keeping a watchful eye on the email domains that end up with a status of Delivered.
Quick refresher: Let's say you sent the Save the Date to 10 people with an @hooli.com domain, and you garner 0 opens or clicks...it's likely that a corporate firewall is preventing your emails from reaching @hooli.com.
There are two best practices for getting your message into Hooli employee hands:
1. Export your email analytics and grab those Hooli emails. Follow up with note via a personal email.
2. Take it a step further! Reach out to Hooli's IT department and ask them to add all emails coming from the "@event.splashthat.com" email alias to a White List. You can even provide the IT department with the 3 IP addresses that Splash sends emails from...
Cool note: Adding Splash's domain to a whitelist will allow event messages from future events to bypass the firewall settings.
Emails cannot be re-sent to bounced addresses.
If you try to add addresses that have previously bounced to an event or specific email, they'll be automatically skipped, flagged as Invalid, and marked in red.
To correct a bounced address on a specific email:
1. Click into the email from your dashboard and head to the Recipients step.
2. Click on the number of bounced addresses in the top-right.
3. All bounced addresses will appear in the window that opens.
4. Click directly on any email address to open the contact card. An alert will show at the bottom of the contact card with the bounced details including the date and time the email bounced as well as the reason it bounced.
5. In the top right, click edit to change or replace the guest's email address. The bounce details will also display when you hover over the blue question mark icon.
To view and correct all bounced addresses for your event:
1. In the Guests tab on your page's editing toolbar, select the Filters button in the Action bar.
2. Click Bounced.
3. Select "Invalid Email Address - Last email sent to this email address bounced."
4. Save and Apply Filters to view all bounced addresses in your guest list.
5. Click directly on any email address to open the contact card. An alert will show at the bottom of the contact card with the bounced details including the date and time the email bounced as well as the reason it bounced.
6. In the top right, click Edit to change or replace the guest's email address. The bounce details will also display when you hover over the blue question mark icon.
Sometimes, the reason a perfectly valid email bounced on your first attempt was corrected. Maybe you sent to an email that didn't exist yet but now it does!
If that's the case, you can individually or mass remove invalid flags. This will allow you to re-send the email to your bounced recipients.
Click to continue to Lesson 9: Developing a post-event email strategy
Please sign in to leave a comment.