Ah, the infamous bounce. A typo, an unknown address, a server block - emails can bounce for a variety of reasons. This article will walk you through identifying the reason for the bounce, correcting the email address, and attempting a resend.
On this page:
- Why did my email bounce?
- How does a bounce affect my emails and events?
- How do I correct bounced email addresses?
Why did my email bounce?
When you send a guest an email and it bounces, that guest's email address is flagged as invalid in Splash and marked in red.
The specific reason for a bounced address will appear inside the guest's contact card, accessible from your Guest List.
Read about the different types of bounces that are possible.
How does a bounce affect my emails and event?
Once you send one email to an address and it bounces, the email address is automatically removed from any future email sends.
You'll be notified of these skipped emails pre-send in both the Recipients and Review stages.
How do I correct bounced email addresses?
To identify and correct a bounced address on a specific email:
1. Click into the email from your dashboard and head to the Recipients step.
2. Click on the number of bounced addresses in the top right.
3. All bounced addresses will appear in the window that opens.
4. Click directly on any email address to open the contact card. An alert will show at the bottom of the contact card with the bounced details including the date and time the email bounced as well as the reason it bounced.
5. In the top right, click edit to change or replace the guest's email address. The bounce details will also display when you hover over the blue question mark icon.
To view and correct all bounced addresses for your event:
1. In the Guests tab on your page's editing toolbar, select the Filters button in the Action bar.
2. Click Bounced.
3. Select Invalid Email Address - Last email sent to this email address bounced.
4. Click Apply Filters and Save to view all bounced addresses in your guest list.
5. Click directly on any email address to open the contact card. An alert will show at the bottom of the contact card with the bounced details including the date and time the email bounced as well as the reason it bounced.
6. In the top right, click Edit to change or replace the guest's email address. The bounce details will also display when you hover over the blue question mark icon.
Sometimes, the reason a perfectly valid email bounced on your first attempt was corrected. Maybe you sent to an email that didn't exist yet but now it does.
If that's the case, you can individually or mass remove Splash's invalid flag. This will allow you to re-send the email to your bounced recipient(s).
|Warning: Removing the invalid flag for a guest can only be done for appropriate invalid reasons. If a guest has unsubscribed from your event notifications, you may not remove the invalid flag. This ensures your compliance with GDPR requirements. To learn more about GDPR requirements, check out the GDPR & Event Marketing Toolkit.|
To remove an invalid flag:
- Select one (or many) guests.
- Click More Actions.
- Select Remove current invalid flags.