Bounced Emails: How to identify and correct for a cleaner guest list
Ah, the infamous bounce. A typo, an unknown address, a server block - emails can bounce for a variety of reasons. When an email bounces after sending to a specific guest, that email address is flagged as invalid in Splash and marked in red.
* Note - Removing the invalid flag for a guest can only be done for appropriate invalid reasons. If a guest has unsubscribed from your event notifications, you may not remove the invalid flag. This ensures your compliance with GDPR requirements. To learn more about GDPR requirements, check out this article: GDPR & Event Marketing Toolkit.
How does a bounce affect my emails and event?
Emails cannot be sent to bounced addresses. If you add invalid addresses to an event or specific email, you'll see the guests flagged as invalid and marked as red. Below, we'll cover how to correct bounced addresses.
Don't have the right email?
There's no need to remove invalid emails from an individual email or quick list - they'll be automatically skipped when you add them as recipients.
Why did my email bounce?
Check out what a bounce is: Bounce
The specific reason for a bounced address will appear within the guest's contact card; we'll show you how to locate that below.
How do I correct bounced email addresses?
To correct a bounced address on a specific email:
1. Click into the email from your dashboard and head to the Recipients step.
2. Click on the number of bounced addresses in the top right.
3. All bounced addresses will appear in the window that opens.
4. Click directly on any email address to open the contact card. An alert will show at the bottom of the contact card with the bounced details including the date and time the email bounced as well as the reason it bounced.
5. In the top right, click edit to change or replace the guest's email address. The bounce details will also display when you hover over the blue question mark icon.
To view and correct all bounced addresses for your event:
1. In the Guests tab on your page's editing toolbar, select the Filters button in the Action bar.
2. Click "Bounced."
3. Select "Invalid Email Address - Last email sent to this email address bounced."
4. Save and Apply Filters to view all bounced addresses in your guest list.
5. Click directly on any email address to open the contact card. An alert will show at the bottom of the contact card with the bounced details including the date and time the email bounced as well as the reason it bounced.
6. In the top right, click Edit to change or replace the guest's email address. The bounce details will also display when you hover over the blue question mark icon.
Sometimes, the reason a perfectly valid email bounced on your first attempt was corrected. Maybe you sent to an email that didn't exist yet but now it does.
If that's the case, you can individually or mass remove invalid flags. This will allow you to re-send the email to your bounced recipients.